Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Early Riser


Rising before the sun.  A wise habit we could all greatly benefit from.  Now, most of us are "forced" to rise early during the work week.  Our alarms annoyingly go off and we begrudgingly hit the snooze button until it's too late and then we're running around like a chicken with our heads cut off to get to work on time.  I know the drill well.  The key is, however, to actually arise before the sun on our own... without the alarm.  But wait.  There's more.  How about, we wake up without an alarm AND with joy??? Whoa! Now there's a novel concept.  Why in the world would anyone want to do that? Especially on the weekends?  Well... let's take a look at some research on the benefits of rising early... 

Since I'm a mom and a teacher, I am definitely forced to awake before the sun during the school year.  My alarm goes off at 5:30 a.m., but since by husband's goes off at 4:30 a.m., I'm usually woken up by that anyway.  I typically don't get out of bed until he leaves around 5:15.  At that point, I get up and enjoy the much needed quiet time I crave.  I've been doing this for years and years and it has always served me well.  I have such a strict routine in the morning that if anyone actually stalked me, they'd be bored to tears.  It really is just that predictable.  I make my coffee, I sit and eat breakfast, I read, I pray, I walk Nola, I get our lunches ready, get myself ready and then wake up my little one to get her ready.  It's the same thing... every single day.  Even the weekends.  Of course, on the weekends I live dangerously and wake up at 7:30. Woo hoo! Hey.  That is most certainly "sleeping in" for me.  My husband asks, "why are you up so early?"  To which I reply, "because I need my alone time before everyone else wakes up."  It's a time alone I value and need to be a better wife, mother and person overall.  

Let's make rising early a habit, even on the weekends.  It will surely be life changing.

xoxo-
Mina