Monday, March 14, 2016

Focusing on the Light at the End of that Dark Tunnel


We've all been there, right?  Life's troubles.  Life's worries.  Life's stress.  Yep.  I know it well.  We've all had those sleepless nights where all we could do was worry about something going on in our lives.  Perhaps we were out of a job and were wondering how we were going to pay those bills.  Maybe we got our heart broken and it felt like we'd be alone for the rest of our lives.  Who knows?  Whatever it might have been, the road back to the light seemed bleak and very, very dark.  Some of you reading this may be in that tunnel in this very moment.  But, those of us who have been there and made it out are here to assure you that there is a light waiting for you.  There absolutely is.  

2008-2010 were the toughest two years of my life.  I lost my job and I slowly began losing everything else as well.  By 2010 I'd lost my house, both cars and was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, while also losing almost all sight in my left eye.  I had no health insurance and truly felt like my life had completely fallen apart.  However, instead of focusing on all the negatives going on in my life (and trust me, there were way more negatives than positives),  I put absolutely alllllll  of my energy into ONLY the positives.  Bill and I got married in the middle of my storm back in 2009.  He was in a storm of his own, having lost his job in 2008 as well.  We were both hit with enough stress to ruin any kind of relationship.  Instead, we held on to each other for dear life and made the best of the cards we'd been dealt.  Our positive outlook of "It will get better! It has to get better! We have God on our side!" got us through this hard time more than anything else.  Worrying wasn't going to fix anything, that's for sure!  So, we chose to be positive instead of worry warts.  We prayed a lot.  We completely gave it to God and knew that through Christ we could get through anything at all.  A few months after my diagnosis, my eyesight unexplainably returned while I drove to work with "one" eye and I went back for yet another MRI.  I received the crazy, happy news that my scans were clean! NO M.S.!!! The Neurologist, in awe and almost speechless, said "It's a miracle. It's all I can say."  

Positive thinking, not dwelling on the negative, holding on to our loved ones, letting go of the material things and, most of all, clinging on to God, is what got both of us through those horrible two years.  Now, here we are, 6 years later and happier than ever.  God restored all that we'd lost and then some.  We have been blessed beyond measure and the lesson learned is that at the end of the day, stuff is just stuff.  What truly matters is relationship.  Relationship with God, with our loved ones and with ourselves.  Remain in the positive, no matter how small it may be.  Eventually, it wins out.

xoxo-
Mina