Friday, April 22, 2016

Changing Perspectives


"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."  This is one of my absolute favorite quotes by one of my favorite motivational speakers, Dr. Wayne Dyer.  When I heard him say it, it completely created a shift in my thinking.  Sometimes, when things seem to be going downhill or life isn't exactly where we would like, a change of perspective is all it takes.  It's quite simple.  I remember sitting at the dinner table as a child refusing to eat my dinner.  My mother will immediately say, "There are so many starving children in the world and you're rejecting your food!"  I remember always having a quick shift in perspective when she'd say that.  Or more like, "Well, geesh.  Now that you put it that way! I guess I'll eat it."  Of course, I did so begrudgingly, mind you.  But, that comment always made me change my perspective on how "terrible" this meal was.  What if I had nothing to eat, for days at a time.  What if I was actually starving, would I eat it then?  Gladly?  Probably.

Life is so often confronting us with the unpleasant.  We face problems with relationships, at work, with finances, etc... And we get so mired up in the details of our problem that we expand it to take over our minds and our lives.  We stop looking at all the blessings we have each and everyday and minimize them by focusing only on the one unpleasant issue that's bothering us.  It's so common.  It may as well be called "the human condition."  But, it does not have to be that way at all.  We can become mindful of our thoughts.  We can regain control by being present in the moment and looking at whatever our problem is for what it truly is.  Let's ask ourselves, "what does this really mean?" "Is this the absolute worst case scenario?"  I know this is common sense for most of us.  But sometimes, it's nice to be reminded.

Stay present today.

xoxo-
Mina