Friday, July 29, 2016

Getting Re-Motivated.


Staying motivated.  In my opinion?  Is harder than getting motivated.  In my personal experience I never have trouble getting motivated about something new.  An exercise routine; a new diet plan; a new planning system; a new organization system; you fill in the blank.  I'm one of those people that gets interested in something and then researches everything there is to know about it and then I want to do it full force!  No transition period.  Just go!  This is great for getting things started.  But, one of my biggest flaws?  I get bored... fast.  Once the "newness" wears off... I wander.  My mind goes to all the other things I could be doing.  I dare say the only thing that has not happened to me with is my teaching career (thank goodness) and my relationships (thank goodness again!).  In those two areas I am 100% committed and boredom isn't a problem.  But, anything else? Poof! Excitement gone.  Boredom sets in.  The challenge has been met... and I'm ready to move on to the next thing.  Sounds so flighty, I know.

So, how can we re-motivate ourselves in an area where it doesn't serve us to get un-motivated?  For example, an area such as fitness and healthy living.  We are bombarded daily by the new thing that is going to make us thinner, more toned, more energetic, etc...  The first day of the year comes and we see hundreds of folks crammed at the gym and running the streets.  But, come March and the streets start looking lonelier and lonelier, as does the gym.  I saw this very thing happen last year as I trained for the Chicago Marathon.  At the very beginning of 2015, my usual running course was packed with new faces.  It was very exciting! New people to see.  Great! But, a couple of months later?  I seemed to be the only one out there sometimes.  What happens?  What helps me stay motivated when the bout of un-motivation sets in?

I'll let you in on a little secret.  I don't usually "enjoy" running.  What I do enjoy, however, is the sense of accomplishment that comes after a run.  I always feel awesome then!  But, during the run?  Not so much.  If anything, I'm cursing the day I was born more than I should and consistently asking myself why in the world I'm putting myself through it.  So.  Why lace up and go anyway?  Because I focus on the end result and not so much the process.  Yes, I do, sometimes, enjoy the run.  Especially when the weather is beautiful and I'm not feeling like a mobile sweat bucket.  But, let's face it.  I live in Florida.  It's hot here.  Today?  I ran 4 miles in 102 degree weather.  102! Not kidding.  It was pure hell.  But, I set a goal to run the NYC Marathon this coming November and the goal is what keeps the mundane feeling at bay.  I don't feel bored because I'm working towards accomplishing something new! Running through NYC in one of the world's largest marathons!  

Moral of the story?  Set goals.  Give yourself something to look forward to.  Make the means to an end new again and renew your motivation.  

What area have you been lacking motivation in today?  How can you re-spark it?  What goal can make it feel "new" again?

xoxo-
Mina